Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center
Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Program
The Tuscaloosa Veteran Affairs Medical Center (TVAMC) is committed to providing top quality care to all Veterans, including those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and/or questioning.
TVAMC LGBT program goals are to provide:
- A safe, welcoming, and respectful environment at TVAMC.
- Culturally-sensitive and effective patient-centered care delivered by staff with up-to-date training in LGBT specialized services.
- Patient non-discrimination policy inclusive of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- An equal visitation policy that allows any person the patient chooses, including same-sex partners, to be present during a patient’s stay.
- An employment non-discrimination policy that welcomes LGBT candidates and employees.
Veteran Care Coordinator
To fulfill its commitment to healthcare equality, the VA created a national LGBT program to meet the unique patient care needs of the LGBT Veteran population. Each VA Healthcare System has appointed an LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator (VCC) to assist Veterans, staff, and community stakeholders with awareness of patient care services, understanding of VA policies, and other LGBT program related services. The LGBT VCC serves as a point-person for LGBT Veteran-related health care issues at the TVAMC and all of our VA Outpatient Clinics. The LGBT VCC also provides training and offers consultation to facilitate staff members’ LGBT-related clinical and cultural competency. For information regarding LGBT-specific clinical services or VA policies regarding LGBT patient care, contact Dr. Vincent Intoccia, LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator at (205) 554-2000 ext. 4352.
Affirmative LGBT Veteran Services
- You Are Not Alone America is home to an estimated one million LGBT service members and Veterans, many of whom have served the US military with honor and distinction. All Veterans are welcome at TVAMC. If you feel you are not being provided with compassionate care at TVAMC, please make your concerns known by contacting your Patient Advocate (Susan Higgins, 205-554-2957) or the LGBT VCC (Dr. Vincent Intoccia, 205-554-2000x4352).
- Affirmative LGBT Veteran Services TVAMC is open to all LGBT Veterans at TVAMC. We take pride in serving all who served. LGBT-affirmative services at TVAMC include but are not limited to LGBT Support Group focused on LGBT identity and health with clinicians familiar with LGBT issues. The group offers a safe place for LGBTQ+ Veterans to discuss and explore topics related to identity, relationships, military and VA culture, DADT, health, and many more. The LGBT Support Group works towards an individual’s goals related to LGBT identity, with a focus on emotional well-being, self-acceptance, and empowerment, in a supportive group environment.
- Transgender Services TVAMC provides patient care for Veterans who are questioning their gender identity or whose gender identity or expression differs from their sex assigned at birth. Transgender affirmative services include but are not limited to evaluations of readiness, voice therapy, support groups, hormone replacement therapy and monitoring, as well as preoperative and postoperative care. Although the VA is not authorized to offer or pay for gender confirmation surgery (what used to be more commonly called sexual reassignment surgery), the VA is often able to assist with many of the requirements leading up to starting hormones or receiving surgery. For assistance in navigating and accessing transgender affirmative services, please contact the LGBT VCC or speak to your VA provider.
Helpful Links for LGBT Veterans
LGBT Veteran Resources*
- American Veterans for Equal Rights
- Outserve / Service Members Legal Defense Network
- Ten Things Lesbians, Gay Men, Bisexuals and Transgender Persons Should discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Counseling of Alabama
- CDC LGBT Health Page
- American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts for Gay & Bisexual Men
- American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts for Lesbian & Bisexual Women
- VA LGBT Caregiver Support
- VA Gay & Bisexual Men Healthcare Factsheet
- VA Lesbian & Bisexual Women Healthcare Factsheet
Transgender Veteran Resources*
- VA National Policy on Transgender Care
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Ten Things Transgender Persons Should discuss with Their Healthcare Care Provider
- Know your Rights: Legal Information for Transgender People
- Alabama Name & Gender Change Laws and Procedures
- Traveler Information for Transgender Travelers from the TSA
- VA Transgender Male Healthcare Factsheet
- VA Transgender Female Healthcare Factsheet
* Some links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Websites. The link will open in a new window.
- 205-554-2000 Ext. 4352
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p. m.