Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center
The staff at the Tuscaloosa VAMC have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
Patient Health Education Resource Center
What is the Patient Health Education Resource Center or PHERC?
The PHERC provides a wide variety of health, wellness and medical information that is available for you, the Veteran and your family. Our goal is to provide access to current health information in order to assist you in taking an active role in your health care as a partner with your providers.
Where is the PHERC Located?
The PHERC is located in Building 63, Rm. 6 (Library area). Classrooms are located across the hall in Rm. 2. Hours of operation are: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday (except federal holidays).
If you cannot visit the PHERC, call us at 1-205-554-2000, Ext. 1-3653 and we can mail or fax you information.
How can the PHERC help you?
- Staff are available to assist you in obtaining and answering health related questions
- Pamphlets are available on a wide variety of health topics
- Online access to health information
- Quick access to medication information
- Health videos
- Current magazines
- Local newspapers
Patient Health Education Classes provided include: Diabetes, Education, Smoking Cessation, Weight Management, Lipid Risk Assessment, Chronic Pain, Mental Health Recovery, VIST ScripTalk, Hepatitis C.
Take Charge of Your Health!My HealtheVet
The My HealtheVet site provides Veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about Veteran's benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record